Monday, December 31, 2018

Timing of My Year End Report

Hello all,


You may recall in year's past, that while I go overboard with my year end report - listing the top 30 movies of the year, having other lists for each of the acting categories, and animated films and docs and disappointing films and worst films - and my own Oscar Ballot - I'm always later than most, as I like to ensure I see everything I should before posting, and more often than not, there are a few contenders that qualify themselves, then go wide in January. This year, there is really only 1 film that I missed, that I need to catch up on when it goes wider - but it's a big one - Barry Jenkins' If Beale Street Could Talk. Considering the massive acclaim, and my love of Moonlight, it seems silly to do a top 10 list without seeing it. Hopefully, that could be as soon as this weekend - it's supposed to expand on January 4th, and I head back to work this week anyway in Toronto, so one way or another, I should see it. (I supposed one could argue On the Basis of Sex as well - but that hasn't really found a footing this awards season - although, I'm still interested).


There are others I would love to see - a quintet of docs - Minding the Gap, Hale County This Morning This Evening, Bisbee '17, Monrovia Indiana and Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun - on top of that list, but while all seem available in America, none are available here in Canada (other than Minding the Gap, that played at the Lightbox the week I was at Disney World, I don't think any were even released here). So my doc list will have a HUGE asterisk on it this year, but what I can do? I may get to catch up with another of my big ones - Paul Dano's Wildlife (another film that never hit Canada) - but we'll have to see when it actually hits streaming here in Canada.


Bottom line, I'm behind this year - so we're looking at the second or third week of January before I can get the lists out. I'm behind on writing them - not to mention I have to write 11 reviews of the movies I've seen over Christmas break (Bumblebee, Shoplifters, Vox Lux, Bird Box, Aquaman, Vice, Mary Poppins Returns, Ben is Back, Bodied, Divide and Conquer: The Story of Roger Ailes and Mary Queen of Scots - as well. I'll get up my lists as soon as I can. Until then, stick around - those reviews are coming, and soon after, the lists.


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment