Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Timing of My Year End Reports

Timing of Year End Report
 
If you’ve been reading me for a while, you know my Year End Report really goes a little overboard – basically, a listing of the top 30(ish) films of the years, lists of the best docs, animated films, debuts, horror, and each of the four acting categories, along with ensemble cast, my would-be Oscar Ballot, and the most disappointing and worst films of the year.
 
I am pretty much done this. I was hoping to be able to catch up with Thelma and BPM (Beats Per Minute) this week, so they could be included if warranted – but although iTunes listed them as available today, that’s only to buy, not rent – so while I’ll see both films, it’s unlikely it will happen before my list. I also want to see Jane for the doc list – and that is available next week, so as long as it’s for rental, I’ll see it before. I may get a chance this week to see Michael Haneke’s Happy End before the list as well – the reviews have not been great, but given my feelings for Haneke, I feel I should see it if possible before I post my list.
 
So next week will be the week. Monday will have the films, Tuesday the acting cateogories, Wednesday Animated, Docs (maybe), Horror and debuts, Thursday, the Oscar ballot and most Disappointing and Worst (and maybe docs – it depends on Jane).
 
I know it’s later than most, but I like to make sure I see everything possible before I post. My own survey of Film Critics Top Ten Lists (now at 580 – I stop at 650) indiciates I’ve seen 48 of the top 50 (missing the aforementioned B.P.M. and Frederick Weisman’s Ex Libris – whose films I never see, unless I catch them at TIFF. I’ve also see 84 of the top 100 – missing, alongside BPM and Ex Libris – On the Beach at Night Alone (hasn’t opened here yet), Zama (will be a 2018 film in North America), Western (ditto), Thelma, The Death of Louis XIV (not available), The Other Side of Hope (a late year release I missed), Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (came and went very quickly), Loveless (a 2018 film here), A Fantastis Woman (same), By the Time It Gets Dark (hadn’t heard of this one before, and unavailable), the aforementioned Happy End and Jane, Hostiles (opening this week – perhaps I can see it, perhaps not) and Bollywood’s Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, which I could watch, but I’d also need to see the first film, and don’t think I’ll have the 6 hours it would require to watch both.
 
Anyway, for those who care, check back in starting next Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be reading. We don't agree on everything, but always enjoy checking in on your year-end lists

    ReplyDelete