Friday, January 29, 2010

2009 Year in Review: Cristina's Top Ten List

My wife Cristina puts up with a lot from me in terms of movies. Fridays spent by herself as I stay in Toronto to catch the latest smaller movie that opened that week. A week in September where she doesn't see me at all as I see 30 movies at the Toronto Film Festival. Not to mention all the movies I drag her to over the course of the year. And yet, despite the fact that she sometimes complains about the amount of time I spend on movies, she is supportive, and I think she actually loves goes to the movies with me. So every year, I have Cristina make up her own top 10 list - and the result often surprise me. So, I decided to share her top ten list with you, with just a few comments from me.

10. Invictus (Clint Eastwood)
Cristina played rugby as a high school student, and has spent the last few years coaching it at the school where she teaches (Go Titans!). She is also a history major, so I think the combination of rugby and Nelson Mandella were too much for her to resist in this one.

9. Star Trek (JJ Abrams)
At heart, my lovely wife is a nerd. She spent much of her youth watching the Star Trek series, and although she intially mocked the idea of a reboot of the franchise, she couldn't help herself.

8. District 9 (Neil Blomkamp)
A movie she swears she will never watch again (I think it was the fingernail that did it), she still really liked this socially aware sci-fi, action epic.

7. Up in the Air (Jason Reitman)
She loved Juno a few years back (she even shows it in her class now!), so she was already on board with director Jason Reitman - despite the fact that she is the only woman I know who doesn't really like George Clooney. She does love happy endings however.

6. Up (Pete Docter)
Cristina loves animation, and although she openly mocks me for my love of Pixar, particularly how it seems like everyone of their films makes me cry, she knows good movies when she sees them.

5. Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson)
The most surprising entry on her list for me, as she has never warmed to Wes Anderson before, and I remember laughing my ass off during this movie, but not her as much. However, she says this is a movie she plans to rewatch a number of times.

4. The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow)
Another surprising entry for me, as she thought I built the movie up too much before we went to see it (sorry, I saw it by myself 14 months before we saw it together!). Yet, I know she felt the suspense in this movie - how could she not.

3. Inglorious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)
Despite the fact that every time Tarantino's name comes up in conversation, Cristina talks about how he masterbates behind the camera, she cannot help but love his movies (well, except Death Proof!).

2. Precious (Lee Daniels)
Cristina likes inspiring dramas that have a message to them. I guess that's what she responded to here.

1. An Education (Lone Scherfig)
I practically had to drag Cristina to see this movie. She hadn't seen a preview, hadn't heard about the movie, had never heard of Carey Mulligan, and generally did not care if she saw this one. But I knew this was exactly the type of movie that she would love. A true story about a girl who does some stupid things, before she wises up. The happy ending clinched it for her. She still raves about this one every time it comes up - and I have a feeling she's going to swear at the TV on Oscar night when Sandra Bullock wins the Oscar meant for Mulligan.

No comments:

Post a Comment